About Peer Tutors
The peer tutors are the heart of the Writing & Speaking Center. They are selected not only because they are good students, but because they are cool people–the kind of people any student would enjoy working with. Tutors-in-training study the writing process, rhetoric, grammar and style, as well as the conventions of writing across the disciplines, and how to teach.
- We’ve done the same kinds of writing and presentations that you are asked to do.
- We have been trained to help with all kinds of writing, and every stage of the writing process.
- We’ve also been trained to assist with speaking assignments.
- We will assist with the planning stages of a presentation.
- We can provide feedback on one you have already started.
Join Our Team
We are always on the lookout for friendly people in any major, with interests in writing and in helping others. Your writing doesn’t have to bear the mark of genius: it is more important that you are able to think critically about writing than that you be Shakespeare himself. Tutors enjoy learning with and from their fellow students while looking over their writing, or listing to them speak. If this appeals to you, please consider applying.
- Fill out an application and send it to Amanda Taylor
- Writing Center tutors must complete a tutoring practicum course. Dr. Brian O’Sullivan is scheduled to teach this course in spring 2014.