Welcome to St. Mary’s College! Information and required forms for new students are conveniently placed on this page to ensure every student can access our care while they are on campus.
Quick Checklist for New Students
- All residential students must complete the required meningitis vaccine information form before they can move into campus housing.
- Complete your health history information via the SMCM Student Electronic Medical Records.
- For a guide to the health information we encourage you to share via the Student Health Records, please review the 2021 Health History Form Guide.
- For students who will not be 18 when classes start, please complete the Authorization To Treat Form which must be signed by a parent or guardian.
Please read our Scope of Service to better understand the scope and limitation of the services offered on campus. If you have concerns about your health/mental health or your student’s health/mental health, please contact the Director, Laurie Scherer, at 240-895-4289 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to discuss your concerns.
- Appointments with counselors, health care providers, and the psychiatrist are free of charge.
- Lab tests and medications distributed from the Wellness Center are free of charge.
- Some over the counter medications are available to students free of charge.
- Lab tests that are sent to an external lab will incur an expense to the student. If the lab test will incur a cost, the staff will explain the procedure to the student and bill insurance as appropriate.
- Prescriptions for medication are sent to pharmacies and students must pay out of pocket or use insurance when they pick up the prescription. Two local pharmacies deliver to campus (click here for more information).
- St. Mary’s DOES NOT require students to buy campus insurance or sign a waiver that they have adequate health insurance.
The Wellness Center cannot provide allergy shots.
Forms Required Before Students Come to Campus
- Students who live on campus are REQUIRED by the State of Maryland to share proof they have received the meningitis vaccine OR sign the state waiver. Complete the required meningitis form here.
State of Maryland Requirement: “Meningococcal vaccination” means receipt of the vaccine protecting against at least the four serogroups of A, C, Y, and W-135 of meningococcal disease within the preceding 5 years before the individual moves into on campus student housing. Examples of accepted vaccines: Menningicoccol Conjugate, or Menactra MCV4.
- Students who will be under the age of 18 when they start the academic year are required to have parents/guardians sign an Authorization to Treat form. Students over 18 will be asked to sign the form when they access care. Click here for the Authorization to Treat Form.
- All students will be required to upload a scan or picture of their COVID-19 Vaccine Card or file to the student electronic health records and exemption with the College. For updated information on the campus safety responses to COVID-19 please access the campus webpage at www.smcm.edu where the most recent operating plans are communicated.
Information Required Before Students Receive Services
No student will be denied care in an emergency. For routine appointments, care will be given after the student completes the health history information.
Students can upload their health history and immunization information before they come to campus through the Student Portal directly into our Electronic Medical Records. If there is a problem accessing the student portal, please email Director Laurie Scherer at email@example.com for support.
To access the Student Portal:
- Wait until you receive your student email (@smcm.edu) and your student ID number.
- Access the Student Portal here (https://smcm.medicatconnect.com) and log-in using your smcm.edu email address and ID number.
Students may enter their health history from a computer, tablet, or smart phone. No doctors’ signatures are required on the health history. Records/immunization records with doctors’ signatures may be uploaded through the Student Portal. Copies of insurance cards may also be uploaded.
A copy of the student’s insurance card must be presented at the time of service. If a student uses a family plan, the student must have their own card and share the policy holder name and information. St. Mary’s does not require student insurance or a waiver of insurance. For more information click here.
Students who will be under the age of 18 when they come to campus must complete the Authorization to Treat. form with parent/guardian signature before they can access medical care. Students over the age of 18 may complete intake and history forms when they arrive on campus, except for the Meningitis Vaccine Form which MUST be submitted before residential students move into their residences.
If you have any questions please call the Director of the Wellness Center, Laurie Scherer, at 240-895-4289.