Permissible use of State Vehicles
State vehicles are to be used to conduct official College business. Whenever possible, trips should be planned to coincide with other authorized driver travel requirements so that vehicles are used efficiently and economically. Vehicles shall not be used for personal reasons, including to transport friends or members of the family (e.g., transporting children to and from school). Passengers in State automobiles are limited to persons being transported in connection with State business.
- There shall be no smoking in State vehicles.
- The use of a wireless phone by the driver is prohibited in a moving State vehicle except in cases of emergency. A driver should only place or receive calls when the vehicle is not moving.
- Only drivers approved through Public Safety as authorized drivers may operate State vehicles.
- Only those drivers designated on the vehicle request form and whose signatures appear on the form may operate State vehicles.
- All drivers shall operate State vehicles in a manner that reflects concern for safety and courtesy toward the public.
- State vehicles shall be driven only by State officials, authorized employees, and designated volunteers.
- State vehicles shall not be used to conduct personal business, to transport members of the family, e.g. transporting children to and from school, or for pleasure. Only those passengers listed on the request form may be passengers in the State vehicle.
- No person may drive or ride in the State motor vehicle unless properly restrained by the occupant restraint device. It shall be the primary driver’s responsibility to ensure that the passengers use the available restraint devices.
- All traffic and parking laws are to be obeyed. Posted speed limits are not to be exceeded, nor is the vehicle to be operated above safe driving speeds for road conditions. All violation fines shall be the responsibility of the driver involved.
- Report all accidents to both the Public Safety Office and Maintenance within 24 hours, even if there are no other vehicles involved, nor apparent injuries or damages. Notify Public Safety immediately in the case of serious bodily injury. Public Safety will notify the Dean of Students or the Director or Student Activities.
- The driver of a State vehicle shall take every precaution to ensure the safety of the vehicle and its contents. The driver shall lock the vehicle and take the keys, except in those instances when a commercial parking garage requires the keys be left with the vehicle.
- Operators of State vehicles are personally responsible for vehicles assigned to them. Should damage to a State vehicle result through misuse or gross negligence, the operator may be required to make restitution to the State.
- The driver must note destination and mileage on the form located in the blue folder issued with the vehicle keys.
- Under no circumstances will alcohol (open or closed containers) be allowed in a State vehicle.
- Maintenance will record the condition of the vehicles upon return. Individuals returning vehicles in an unsatisfactory condition may be denied further use of vehicles.
- Willful disregard of these rules is considered just cause for disciplinary action and denial of further usage.
All completed forms shall be submitted to Mary Johnson at the Physical Plant. Forms may be dropped off in person or faxed at 240-895-4913. For questions please call x4287 or (240) 895-4287.